Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

the method

photo: West on Jade Photography
www.westonjade.com
So as you probably already know, losing weight and getting fit is, ideally, a two-pronged thing.

#1. Food.

#2. Moving.

Now once upon a time it would have been my dream world to be able to eat anything I wanted, any time I wanted, and still lose weight just by working my tail off in the gym.

Unfortunately, while it is possible to create a calorie deficit this way, it's not going to be fast, and it's not going to create a lean, toned look. And it's definitely not going to make me any fitter. I won't be any faster at running, or better at climbing stairs, or able to finish Tough Mudder in under 3 hours, just by exercising while still eating anything I want. You might think it would, but you'd be wrong.

In order for exercise to be effective, my body needs fuel. Fuel from all three macronutrients--protein, for sure, but also carbohydrates and fat--and all the micronutrients. And to do that, I need to eat well. I go around eating candy bars all day (or brownies. Mmmmmm brownies.) and when I get to the gym I'm going to fall on my face five seconds into my warmup.

Don't believe me? Try this experiement, but don't sue me if it doesn't turn out well:

First: Eat junk at every meal for a week, but still go to the gym every day. How do you feel? Sluggish? Bloated? Does increasing the duration or intensity of your workouts, as in my ideal world of more exercise + an all junk food diet, make you feel better? or worse?

Then: Eat well at every meal for a week. Cut out sugar and refined carbs, and eat as closely to the earth as possible. Plants and animals in their closest-to-original-as-possible form. And go to the gym every day. You might need a break after the first week to recover from all that junk. You'll probably have a nasty caffeine/sugar withdrawl headache for a day or two. That's OK, you can wait to go to the gym until that's gone. By the end of the week, how do you feel? Unstoppable? Invincible? Like you could leap tall buildings in a single bound? That, my friend, is the power of food as fuel, and it's why we can't just work out all the time, eating all you want, and expect to get anywhere in our fitness goals.

OK, lecture over. I hope I was listening, because that is the plan for the next year.

Eat well. Exercise. 

Fortunately, now that I've been doing this for a while, I love to work out.  Hiking, biking, rollerblading, jogging (slowly. Like, shuffling.)...I love it all. I'm not always good at making room for it in my schedule though, so right here and now, where everyone can see it posted on the internet, I'm going to list what I'm going to do, when I'm going to do it, and then you can come find me on facebook (look up "fitness with Kimberly") and ask me if I've done it yet.

Yayyyy for accountability!

OK so here's the schedule:

MONDAY willPower & grace video. Love my barefoot training!
TUESDAY Strength: Upper body & Abs | Cardio: jogging (check out Zombies, Run! app for iPhone & Android and then tell me how much you love it)
WEDNESDAY Strength: Lower body | Cardio: hiking, rollerblading, or stairs if it's nice, treadmill or elliptical if not
THURSDAY Yoga
FRIDAY Strength: Upper body | willPower & grace
SATURDAY  Cardio: jogging
SUNDAY off

Hmm...I need to make that into a pretty graphic to hang up on my fridge.

How about you? What do you do when you work out? Is it something you have to force yourself to do, or do you look forward to exercise as "me time"?
Post a Comment