Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

lets talk water.

So let's talk water, shall we?

Water.

We all need it.

But dang it can be hard to get that eight glasses in, right??

Now don't jump on me--I know that it's often said that you can get your water through more than just big ol' glasses of icy cold wetness like that one to the left. I know. Soup, veggies, freshly-squeezed juices, they're all great ways to get in your valuable H2O.



But I am gonna go out on a bit of a limb here and say that nothing does your body good like fresh, clear, plain-ol' water. Your body needs it. Your body craves it. And if you're active, and you're losing buckets of water through sweat, you'd better not be relying on just your afternoon salad or your soup at dinner for all the moisture you need.

Ugh, I hate that word moisture. 

...for all the moisture hydration you need.

Think about your cells. Now, I'm no biologist. I barely got through biology in school. But I do know that cells have a permeable (read: kinda holey) outer wall. And the water molecules--they have to get through that wall. And if the water molecules have other stuff all over 'em, cuz they're soaked in soup or trapped in lettuce or locked behind caffeine and artificial sweetener (yes, I'm talking to you, Coke Zero addicts. And by 'you' I mean 'me') then your body has to do stuff to the water before it can deliver the watery goods to your cells.

But if you drink just plain water, your body is like, "Sweet! Ding-dong, water delivery! How's that for fast service? No delays here!"

And your cells, they're like, "AAAAAAaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh."

I was going to write about all the fabulous reasons for you and me to drink more water, but this post says pretty much everything I wanna say, and she says it better than I would, so read up. But grab a glass of water first! Might as well get in a glass while you read...

Yes? Are we all convinced? OK. So. Here's the challenge for this week.

I bet you can guess what it is.

Drink. Water. Lots of it. Your challenge, and mine, is to get plenty of water for the next week and post about how it's going. You can either comment here, or post on your blog or facebook and link to it here. Let me see how you're doing, and I'll let you see how I'm doing!

"But Kimmy?!" you ask. Actually I hope that's not quite what you ask. There aren't too many people on this earth that get to call me Kimmy. "How do we know how much water we need every day??"

I am so glad you asked that!

Here is a hydration calculator. It asks you nine questions about yourself, and then tells you not only how much water you should get, but also how much of that water can be part of your food, and how much you should be drinking straight up! Or on the rocks!

Me, I should be getting 99 ounces of water a day. Holy shmoley. Thankfully, 20 oz. can be in my food, s'long as I'm eating well.


So go get out your favorite water bottle, fill it up, and drink, drink, drink!!

Now, I know--trust me, I know--that drinking all that water can get pretty boring, pretty fast. So, keeping in mind what I said about plain water being the most immediately available hydration for your body, here are some other options to break the monotony of glass after glass of plain H2O:

1) Sparkling water. Oh yes. Not only does a good tall glass of seltzer with dinner calm my clanging soda cravings, but it's hydrating too. Pick something unsweetened if you can, and enjoy. And if you're in New England, you totally score because Polar has some amazing limited-time flavors for winter like butter rum, mint chocolate, Boston cream pie, and eggnog. Now, if you can honestly tell me none of those made your mouth water just a little bit, then you and I can not be friends. Sorry.

2) Fruit! Add some berries, orange slices, cucumber, mint (not technically a fruit, I know), or other tasty things right into your flat or carbonated water and enjoy. My favorite additive is lemon, because not only is it tasty, but lemon is supposed to give your metabolism a little boost and let's face it, my metabolism can use any boost I wanna try giving it. Same reason I put cinnamon in my smoothies and oatmeal and anything else I can stomach it in.

Just don't try eating straight cinnamon.

3) Tea. My favorite way to drink water in the winter is as tea. Yum yum yum. If you need suggestions, let me know, but some of my favorites are the Starbucks Tazo Zen and Refresh teas and the Hot Cinnamon Spice tea that Barnes & Noble sells in its cafes.

That is certainly not an exhaustive list. If you can bear one more link from me today, check out this list of more ways to enjoy your hydration.

So, how about you? Do you get enough water? I sure don't, and my hair and skin and nails suffer for it. Will you join the challenge?

**Today's workout--Legs & Cardio: DONE!!**

Post a Comment