Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

zumba shoes and stuff

OK so one of my favorite things I like to talk about on here is SHOES and what shoes to wear to Zumba class.

Largely because searches for "zumba shoes" are a huge part of what drives traffic to this site.

Anyway...shoes for Zumba class:

My oh my how things have changed over the years!!

I remember, back in the day, when everyone was wearing Nike Musiques. Remember those? Back when Nike had that killer dance fitness clothing line?? Yeah, that clothing line rocked. They need to do that again. They had some sweet Nike Shox training shoes that were OK for Zumba class, too, if you liked fitness sneakers of the high-heeled variety.

I'm normally a Nike girl, I swear...
And then there were the dance sneakers, usually worn by instructors with a dance background, and incidentally, by their students. OMG these make me cringe just looking at them. How are you supposed to do squats in these?

But, you know, whatever. I'm not here to judge. Some people swear by them and really, it's all about finding what's right for you. Personally, I'm waiting for a pair of these babies...over there to the right...I'll be watching for you, FedEx man...

Too bad "finding what's right for you" can "cost an arm and a leg". Phew!

Nowadays there are almost as many great shoes for Zumba class as there are participants. In fact, Zumba Fitness itself has come out with a few different models that are worth checking out.


 Everyone's got their favorite. Brands are recognizing Zumba Fitness, and dance fitness in general, as a force they need to contend with or at least, if you don't like that metaphor, certainly a need that they'd be wise to meet. Zumba Fitness is hugely popular now (I seriously didn't have to actually say that, did I?) and brands're riding the Zumba train to the bank!

So, I'm thinking dance sneakers, and then I'm thinking brands riding the Zumba train, and lo and behold what did I find?? Bloch, the maker of many of those popular-with-the-dance-crowd dance sneakers, have come out with a line of dance fitness shoes! A line of "Zumba" shoes, if you will! Checkout the first couple of rows here!

Oooh, aaah.

They're not really for me--we can discuss my favorites another time if you want--but they might be for YOU.

So that was kind of an interesting find. Anyway...the point is, find what works for you.

The gotta-haves:

  1. Smooth sole that lets you turn and pivot and move side to side.
  2. Support where you need it
  3. Good fit--not too tight, not too loose.
The should-haves:
  1. Breathability--a leather-and-mesh upper is better than all leather. If not for your sake, then for the sake of anyone standing around when you take your shoes off.
  2. Thinner or wider soles, for stability, as opposed to thicker, platform-like, or narrow soles. 
And so help me, if any of you comes into my class wearing anything resembling these? I'm kicking you out of my class!



Post a Comment