Pages

Monday, January 02, 2012

180.0/34.5

OK everyone, first and foremost: HAPPY NEW YEAR! May 2012 bring you blessings beyond measure. May you never have to wait in long grocery lines, always get the last copy of your favorite movie at Redbox, and never smell like onions in public.


How's everyone doing? What did you do for the holidays? Did you go away? Did you stay in? Did you play in snow? Did you stretch out on a sandy beach?

We stayed in, and while there has been no measureable snow, there was a tiny, magical moment on Christmas morning when the kids were all getting up to open their presents and we looked outside to see that it was snowing perfect little flakes. It was just enough to set the right Christmas mood after a December that had been almost entirely 50 degrees until then. Nice, nice. Now, I don't want to see another flake until next winter. I'm such a scrooge. ;)

So, I mentioned resolutions in my last post and that's what I want to talk about today. Mine is, once again, to get healthy and lose some serious weight. But I'm gonna break that down a bit.

  1. I'm reading this book, 4 Hour Body, by Tim Ferriss. I'm trying to adopt the slow-carb diet he presents in the book. So far it's been kind of OK. If you follow Jackie Warner's advice in This is Why You're Fat, (Yes, I've been reading an unusual number of diet books lately. These two, plus YOU on a Diet by Dr. Oz, are my favorites) you've heard her say you should ADD the good stuff before taking away the bad stuff and so, according to her, it's been a GREAT couple of days!! :) I ate well at every meal but mid-afternoons found me snacking on my own homemade treats...the ones that are supposed to be for the kids' lunches. Fortunately I made them with whole-wheat flour and chock-full of ground flax so at least things should...um...keep, um, moving along. Right?
  2. You'll see some changes here, mostly for my own benefit. For one thing, the title of each post will contain my current weight and current waist size--not exactly easy stuff for me to put out there so blatantly but I do it for two reasons: 1) The first time I lost weight--before gaining it all back, which I will NOT be doing this time--I wanted to be able to go back and see my progress. This should make that easier. and 2) Accountability. If I'm going to post my shizz right up there for you to see so easily, I want it to trend in the right direction. So I'd better do what it takes. Right? Right. 
  3. I'm taking pictures of my meals and posting them to a private flickr page. I'll post more about that soon, as soon as I work it out. I don't want the pictures available to the whole world, just cuz pictures of veggies and lentils aren't that exciting...but I do want YOU to be able to see them so you can kick my butt if I start posting pictures of, say, gigantic pieces of red velvet cake floating in a river of chocolate sauce. 
So, that's what I'm doing. I'll post more details on 4HB and the slow-carb diet soon, in case you're interested. And I think I have some fun stories to tell about my adventures in Zumba and whatnot. :) 
Post a Comment