I WANT to wear a BIKINI to the BEACH this summer!!
Yup. That's what I want.
Can I do it? Well...I don't know!!! But I do know that this time last year I was a brand-new vegan, I weighed about 170 pounds, and I was a size 14/16, and by the time last summer came around, I was about 150 pounds, and a size 10/12. So if I could do it then, why shouldn't I be able to do it now?
Just for reference, right now I am about 150 (again, after getting down almost to 140 before the holidays, but anway) and a size 8/10. And in order to get into a bikini by summer I would really like to be a size 4, but I might have to settle for a size 6. If it weren't for the stubborn post-baby-bearing area of my stomach I would--well, I'd probably be wearing a bikini right now, sitting here typing. I'd probably wear a bikini to the grocery store. But, and I know you moms hear me, that shit is stubborn!!
OK so here is the plan. I need to do the following:
- Drink water. And more water and more water. 16 ounces every hour I'm awake. That's a lot of freakin water, but I'm always so dehydrated!
- Weight train. I started this on Monday, and was hella sore on Tuesday and Wednesday. I'll hit the weights after Zumba class tonight. Class, if you're reading this, make sure I head into the fitness center after Zumba!! Ideally it will be class with my awesome boss Cyndee on Mondays, kettlebell at home on Wednesdays, and class with my girl Jill on Friday.
- Eat better! Stop whining about it and just DO IT! I'm starting to sound like a broken record, stuck on the wehWEH wehWEHwah sound of the adults in the Charlie Brown movies.
- Get some damn sleep. Ever since we've been in this house I have had the worst time trying to sleep. My husband will tell you it's because I made him switch sides of the bed with me, after 9 years of sleeping on the same side of the bed. While I did do this, it was more to prove we were capable of change, than anything else. That, and to convince him we need a new damn mattress. Ahh, the exciting little things of married life.
- Switch up the cardio. I hate to say it, but a girl can only Zumba so many times a week without her body saying, "Been there. Done that." and not responding anymore. Soooo I have to find a new class. Is there anything out there as fun as Zumba?! I think not. This could very well be the hardest thing of all. I actually considered taking up running (mostly because Nike has these stupid cutetastic shoes) for about five minutes before I remembered I hate running and wouldn't mind dying with the knees God gave me. So, while I still think in a tiny part of my brain that I might give running a try--the last time I tried it, I weighed a lot more and was way more out of shape--I gotta find something else that's fun and not a chore.
- Be more active outside of the gym, like when I'm with my kids. Play. Run (there's that word again). Wrestle. Build snowmen in the absolute abundance of snow sitting right outside my house. Don't sit in front of facebook all day, eating crap (like you do not even want to know what I had for lunch today).
- Create a scrapbook of inspiration: people who look great, things I'd love to wear when I'm thinner but can't quite pull off yet (although I do have to say I love how much shorter this list is now than it was a year ago!), fun active things I love to do like hiking and rockclimbing and rollerblading, or that I want to try, like snowboarding. Sayings that inspire me. Old pictures of me.
- Most importantly, take some time out for prayer and reflection in the morning. I get so stuck in the thinking that I just don't have time for this, when I know from past experience that really, I can't afford to not make time for God and myself this way. It sets the tone for my entire day, in every aspect, from eating and exercising to fulfilling my role as wife/mom/employee, to being the best mom and wife. Everything!
OK so here's what I'm gonna do, so you can check my progress, just because I know that if I think someone is watching, I'll try harder to stick to everything. ;) I'm going to put a thingie in the sidebar listing numbers 1 through 8, outlined above, and note how I'm doing. Cool? You don't have to read it every day. I just have to think you are reading it. See how that works? At least, I sure hope it works.
Because, see that bikini up there? Is it not just the cutest?! ;)