Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

one of those days

Hey, lemme tell ya about my class today! It was so great.

First, my brand new iPod, which I was so excited to get and so excited to use and so excited to load up with new music for all my classes, was no use at all. All we have at this particular location for hooking up the iPod is a cassette adapter (for you youngins, a cassette is the CD's ancient batty old cat-loving great-aunt) that is roughly 1,000 years old and is good for nuthin, so I had to fall back on my CD--the one with the songs I've been teaching for, like, a month.

Then, I guess I'm getting sick or something because by the second song I was totally huffing it! Now, I get a pretty good workout in my classes, but I'm never so out of breath that I can't talk. At least, not anymore. But today it felt like someone was sitting on my chest, and I practically dragged myself through the rest of it. Gah.

Oh, and then--and here's the part that's a little TMI--I realized I had a...let's call it a "monthly emergency," shall we? And what was I supposed to do? I was 15 minutes into an hour-long class! So I'm trying to teach the class while my mind is racing, trying to figure out what I'm going to do, when one of our newest instructors (who is so cute and who I just love--I should tell you about her sometime) came in the room.

Hallelujah!

So she covered me for a song, so that turned out OK...but jeez, it was just one of those rare classes where I had to force myself to finish. Usually I have to force myself to stop. :)

Anyway, that's my slightly-embarrassing post. I realized I hadn't posted in almost a week and that just won't do. :)

Oh hey! I wanted to tell you! I was crunching numbers and I decided that once I save $800--which will take me about a month and a half; I did explain I don't do this for the money, right?--I'm going to get ready to teach independently.

I know, I know. You've heard that before.

But no, I've actually thought this through this time! See, I was all bothered by the fact that I am only going to have about $3000 by the time I get to Orlando this fall. I'm going to need all new clothes by then, and I need to pay for the hotel and have plenty of spending money, and I want to treat my friends to something nice while we're down there...so here's my plan:

Liability Insurance: $200
Advertising, fliers, biz cards, etc.: $200
First day's rent: $100
Portable sound system for the iPod: $200-300 (I'm thinking this one if it comes back to costco.com where the price was right...or this one--thoughts?)

Total: $700-800

Tell me what you think. Then I need to figure out how I'm going to run the class: do I want to sell 5-class or 10-class punch cards? Do I just want to run it on a drop-in basis? Do I want to run six-week sessions? I really have no freaking clue how to best work it. Ideally I would like to have two classes a week so I could offer people the option of more than one class a week without them needing to commit to a membership. And I'm considering offering a discount to people with a valid YMCA membership, since I don't want my bosses to feel like I'm stealing their members.

OK, off to bed. I have two classes tomorrow, so I've stocked the fridge with energy drinks. I spend way too much on that liquid crack, but I think tomorrow's going to be one of those days when I can't make it through without it. At least I've found a couple that don't taste like battery acid...
Post a Comment