Pages

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

losing weight is a bitch.

pla·teau [pla-toh or, especially Brit., plat-oh] , verb, -teaued, -teau·ing. –noun
5.to reach a state or level of little or no growth or decline, esp. to stop increasing or progressing; remain at a stable level of achievement; level off: After a period of uninterrupted growth, sales began to plateau.
–verb (used with object)
-from dictionary.com


Dear Dictionary.com,


Thank you for your stellar definition of the word, "plateau." I would, however, suggest one addendum:

"6. Total suckage."

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
me.

Sigh...

So, yes. I'm currently at a plateau in my weight loss. Now, to be perfectly honest, I'm illogically unnerved by this. Yes, I know the scale is a crappy way to measure weight loss, especially when I measured myself today and things in that area seem to be at a post-Bek low. Yes, I know I'm probably retaining water because it's been that time of the month and because I'm perpetually dehydrated and yes I know I need to make sure I'm exercising every day and eating enough and not eating crap because being a vegan doesn't mean you can go around eating soy milk "ice cream" all day and expect to keep losing weight.

It's just...it's just...I haven't had to worry about it for three months! For the last three months the weight has just fallen off.

But for the last week I've been stuck at 155. And today I was up to 157.

I know. I know! I'm stressing for no good reason and if any of my class students whined like this I'd gently remind them of all the stuff they already know like measuring and water and eating right and that time of month.

It's just, as the weight comes off I feel good about what I see in the mirror.

But, when I plateau, I don't see the thirty pounds that came off.

I only see the thirty-or-so pounds I have left.

I need a massage. And maybe a manicure. And maybe...maybe some stinkin shirts that fit without me having to constantly pull them back on because they're slipping off my shoulders.

Tomorrow I'll be in a better mood. I promise. And then I'll tell you about the nice adorable fitness director who took my class today. She's starting a Zumba program at her gym! And she might need an instructor! xD

Post a Comment